24 January, 2009

The Hunt

We made a new friend this week. Or rather, Katrina made a contact, expressed a desire towards hunting, shocked the heck out our soon to be new friend that an American Doctor Woman can be something other then a vegetarian vegan snob...and an offer was made and a promise kept. Long story short, our new friend offered to take us hunting...and we held him to his offer. Needless to say it was an experience.
Zero Dark Thirty. Actually just a few minutes past 4:45 in the morning. We started at around 3:30. Hunting here isn't as easy as it used to be. Deer farming is far more profitable and common then hunting them. As such, the Government and a variety of other industrious personages have shot for meat export, trapped, transported and bred the once wild deer population in captivity. It has become an actual industry by itself. Granted, all mammals in New Zealand were introduced and most like the deer and wild sheep are considered pest animals by many.
Another pre-dawn photo. I took quite a few. Unfortunately I failed to notice that I had my shutter exposure speed too slow so the photos were out of phase. I didn't realize that until just after dawn. Have a close look at the vegetation in this. This is some species of thorn bush. Nasty stuff. It grows like sage brush but gets up to 6 to 10 feet tall.

Definitely a great dawn
Greg and Kat. Traditional hunting style. Walk, glass, sneak. This was open country, however the bush could hide a herd of elephants.
Taken at the exact moment of sun rise. The sun was just over my back.
Perfect timing. This country definitely produces great sunsets and sunrises. Granted...I make a point not to be up before the sun rises.

This was a cool little plant. It looks soft and cuddly and completely harmless, does it not? It is called the Spaniard. I call it hell incarnate. These buggers are nasty! Those soft looking grass like blades are actually very rigid. At the tip of each blade is a needle. Coming into contact with one of these bastards is similar to experiencing getting stung by a hornet with a prosthetic red hot steel stinger. They hurt. They also like to hide under and within other brush. Not fun.
Katrina, looking back to make sure I haven't bled to death. She was also warning me that just in front of her was another one of those demon plants from hell. I tend to walk without looking at my feet. I look down, plot a few steps, look up and watch for game as I walk. These plants had a different idea. They kept jumping in front of me. I suspect that our friend and guide, Greg was rather frustrated with my repeated yelps and gasps of agony.
Proof that the hunt was successful. Kat harvested a very large female or "Hind" red deer. No pictures of dead bloody animals. I am a tad bit more respectful then that. I couldn't resist taking a couple of more tasteful photos of the fruits of our labors. The easy work was done. The harder work of processing the animal was done. The last step was just beginning. I don't think any of us expected to get anything so we were un-prepared as to how to pack it out. Greg and Kat left their pack frames in the car. I was the only one with a real pack. We emptied my pack, filled up Kat's book bag with both our gear. The two front quarters and tender loins went into my pack that Katrina carried. Total weight...just about 60 or 70 lbs? I took a back quarter and Katrina's pack loaded with both of our gear. Greg took the other. It was all rather primitive. My elk hunting partners would scoff at me most likely.
I really couldn't tell who was more excited. Katrina for the success of the hunt...or Greg for the fact that we actually saw game, his gun shot straight and that I didn't bleed to death or scare away all the game with my repeated child like yelps from all of those damn Hellbushes. Oh right...Spaniards. If I were Spanish, I would petition the New Zealand government to change the name of that particular plant.
Now the truly hard work would begin. It was about a 3 mile hike down off the plateau back through the thorns, hellbushes and rocks. Oh...did I mention that it was 80 degrees? Tis a bit hot for hunting and packing out meat.

A very nice backdrop to our day. We were on a plateau with a gorge and ravine on two sides and extensive mountains on three. This was where Helm's deep and much of the Rohan scenes were filmed in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Oh, and the meat tastes great. Red deer venison is superb. Thanks Greg. We owe you.

No comments:

Post a Comment