28 May, 2009

Doughnut Falls

Another brief excursion. This time with just Kevin and Christy. Our location? Doughnut falls. It was certainly nice getting into the timber and in the mountains again. This was an easy hike. The biggest challenge of the hike was navigating through the throngs of eager vacationers and city folk. We must have passed several hundred people on the trail. Regardless of the overpopulation, it was still a great afternoon hike.

An aspen in the fir.

Mountains over the alder brush.

Me looking frustrated after navigating the crowd...

New Growth after Winter.

Kevin and Christy, navigating the rocks.

Something Different. I have no idea why I am so fascinated with water...

The Grotto. The water flows into this small cave from a hole in the rock above. I really had difficulty getting to a point on the cliff where I could have a good angle of the falls.


From below the falls, standing in the river. Damn that water was cold. I think I was probably the only person stupid enough to wade across. Hence why I went. Why did the Chicken cross the road? To get away from all of the other chickens...that is why.


From above the falls. You can see where the water has carved a hole into the rock. Kevin snapped this photo from the "crowded side of the stream" From my side it was either see the falls...or fall myself. I opted for letting Kevin to take the proverbial plunge...

There certainly is more water here then at the falls, and this is only a couple hundred yards down stream. There must be a lot of underground water here.

Blue sky over a just blossoming hillside. I love the contrast between the aspen and the fir.
The day could not have been more perfect. Great weather, great temperature and great company.

2 comments:

Mireille said...

you know.. still wished I could be there.. allthough the crowds scare the ships out of me!
lol..
kinda like.. wanting to be alone in the Grand Canyon.. talking bout a disillusion.. hmpf..
and uhm.. totally understand the fascination for water =)

moses said...

;) That is why I like getting away sometimes...it just takes a little more excersise then the crowd is usually willing to expend. Fun and neat places though. The mountains here are awsome.

Post a Comment