23 June, 2009

Fathers Day: Hungry Horse Reservoir part 1 of 2.

Father's Day. This Father's Day I decided to do something different. I decided that I would take my father fishing. My father and I have not been fishing together for well over a decade. I don't think he has handled a rod in that long. Also along for the trip, my wonderful mother, my brother Scott, his wife Katie, and my youngest niece Erin. Oh. And Hopkins the dog that doesn't like water. This was also the first time we had been fishing together as a family in 15 years. Great trip. Location: East shore of the Hungry Horse Reservoir. I want to go again...

A little snow in the hills yet. Looking East. The water level in the lake is higher then normal. Being a reservoir, they typically let out a lot of water to accommodate spring run-off. There was a little more then average snow fall in the mountains this year, however the full status of the lake is more due to government regulations on how much electricity can be produced and how much water can be allowed down stream...also at their peak. All in all, it is great to see the lake almost full. Most years it is 15 to 30 feet shallower.

Me, not catching fish. I brought along the casting rod. Good thing too. The wind was blowing directly into shore and was a bit strong for fly fishing. Not catching fish is much funner then catching trees, yourself, the dog, your father ect ect. Not a good shot.


A lone stalk of Bear Grass. Great stuff, Bear Grass. Parts of it are even edible during the spring before they flower. They smell good too. But they also start to stink once the flowering process starts to die down.




Hopkins the dog and his trusty ball. He wouldn't go into the water to get the ball though.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. It was all I could do not to run the other way, close my eyes, take the hatchet away from her or just pray. But at the end of the day all fingers and toes made it into the car, firmly attached even if slightly punctured by various splinters and abrasions. Erin, my youngest niece.

I so have a thing for fire. Its a miracle I haven't burned off all my hair yet. Oh wait....I have. It grows back thankfully.


An Osprey fishing. I didn't expect him to actually catch anything though. He definitely had different Ideas.

I can't tell if this is a Cutthroat Trout or a trout minnow (squaw fish). Either way though, this Osprey certainly showed me a thing or two. It was a great scene. The wind was blowing so hard he almost didn't make it to shore. He kept trying to circle higher, but the weight of the fish and the wind kept pushing him down to the water. Too bad I missed the splashdown. It was lucky to have just gotten this shot off. This is reason 5,347 as to why I hope to never leave Montana again.

Feasting on his catch. Despite the size of the fish, he had it shredded, eaten and was back on the wing in less then ten minutes. Great memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment