19 July, 2009

Another weekend of hiking, exploring and fishing. This trip took us up the South Fork of the Flathead River into the Spotted Bear region and into the fringes of the Bob Marshal Wilderness area. It was a good trip. We spent more time exploring, driving and hiking then actually fishing. Along for the ride; Kate, Scott, and Hopkins the dog.

This was the start of a lost cause in finding the Spotted Bear Gorge via hiking back country. I took a wild guess on hitting the right location and we took off cross country to see if we cut cut the canyons without having to hike up the gorge. I was slightly erroneous as to location. We managed to cut through the first of the two rivers, but the destination of the second river was unfortunately on the OTHER side of that mountain. We didn't make it. I think I frustrated my companions by my choice and by my tendencies towards bush whacking through the shortest route. Sorry guys. But it was still fun! Poor Hopkins took a beating though...

Kate and Hopkins, fording Bunker Creek.

Me, wet, slightly tired and not really having much luck fishing. I caught a small Cut and a few whitefish.
A nice respite from the thick underbrush and down fall. This little meadow would make a great camping site. Will have to remember it in the future.




There are no trails where I prefer to go. I think that I definitely was the most unpopular person that day. Sorry guys. Poor Hopkins really did not enjoy this hike. We had to carry him across rivers, through the brush and over logs. He definitely got his exercise. At least we didn't see any bears.

A look back. Heading towards where we KNOW there is fishable water instead of guessing and traipsing all over the mountains looking for water.

A look ahead...with much of the same theme as above.

A rather disheveled wild flower with a very tenuous grasp on the rocks at the rivers edge.

Ah. Now this is what I was going for. This was much better. Too bad we spent half the day driving and hiking where there was no water...then more driving...and hiking to where there was water before we got to fish. Dusk was approaching so fishing time was greatly restricted. Still worth it though. Now I know where to start, next time.








On the way back. Good fishing down there, but now days it gets a lot of activity. Up stream is 15 miles of rarely fished wilderness paradise. Hopefully I can get back up there soon to take advantages of it.

1 comment:

Mireille said...

so totally beautiful.. hope you dun mind but I had to laugh... poor dog
:x

Post a Comment