21 January, 2010

Winter 2009 / 20010

There is really no rhyme or reason to the things that I am posting here. The common theme of this and the next few posts is nothing more than winter scenery. Winter is typically a time for slowing down and staying warm. It is also a time for activities that few people partake in. Winter is a time of peace, solitude and silence. It is also a time for being cold. Trust me...it is worth it. Snow shoeing, ice fishing, winter hiking, sledding, skiing are all excellent winter activities. I can't do them all, but the ones I do enjoy are the ones that I hope to be able to experience until the end of my days. Other than the cold...winter is my favorite time of year. Everything is pristine and timeless. There are few things on earth more beautiful than a pure white blanket of snow. Enjoy and keep warm.






Notice the foot prints. Deer, coyotes and other critters make frozen streams into highways. The snow isn't deep yet, but it is still easier going for most. It does look like one or two may have taken a swim. Not for me....

Beaver Lake. I have caught a few dozen salmon this year through the ice. Delicious fish be they smoked, canned or grilled. It is a cheap way to put food on the table and a fun way to tolerate the cold and pass the time.

Something Different...Something Regal

Though this isn't the best picture in the world, I still find it entrancing. The snow that is caked to the branches appear almost lifelike. It is almost as if the tree is trying to remember warmer times. Though you cant see it...it was actually snowing VERY hard while I was taking these pictures. I love the light that streetlamps put out.

More of the same with a different filter setting. By letting in a little more light, things become harsher and crisper but no less interesting. Again...not a great photo, but still worth pondering.

Tea Kettle Mountain and a peek into West Glacier...

A near miss. I decided to cut across this small river while snow shoeing one evening. The snow wasn't the greatest, but the 18 or so inches of fresh powder was still fun to tramp through. While following the river and looking for a "safe" spot to cross I mis-judged and almost got myself in trouble. Not a foot in front of me, the ice suddenly fell in. Two steps back and off to higher ground for me. It would be a little tough to swim with snow shoes on and it would be even harder to breath while being drug under the ice in the grips of a frigid river.

No comments:

Post a Comment